Fettuccine Alfredo (serves 2-4)
A pasta dish made from fettuccine pasta tossed with parmesan cheese and butter, Fettuccine Alfredo is a popular Italian dish which is very quick to make by following this easy recipe. Surprisingly, traditional Fettuccine Alfredo doesn’t contain mushrooms or ham but I’ve included it in the recipe as that is what we South Africans are used to! Feel free to leave these two ingredients out if you would rather keep it traditional.
500g dried fettuccine
6 tbsp unsalted butter
150g sliced cooked ham
250g chopped portabellini mushrooms
1 cup cream
1 cup finely grated parmesan
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
fresh parsley for garnishing
- Cook the fettuccine in a pot of rapidly boiling salted water until the pasta is al dente (not soft and mushy).
- While the pasta is cooking, melt the butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Fry the mushrooms then add the cream and ham and bring to the boil.
- Cook until sauce has reduced, or for about five minutes, stirring gently.
- Remove from the heat.
- Place pasta in a serving dish, sprinkle with the parmesan cheese then pour the sauce over the pasta to melt the cheese.
- Gently mix the pasta and sauce together.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with parsley and a little parmesan.